Fashion, Beauty, Celebrities, Events + Things We Love




Sunday, January 6, 2013

Disappointment In Business


Yesterday we posted an article to Poshy Magazine about dealing with "NO" in business and wanted to repost it here.  And, we'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback...

As a publicist, you often hear “no” more than you ever hear “yes” and when the dreaded NO comes out you have to learn to deal with the disappointment.  When you are pitching stories, product placement or interviews, some prospects will tell you “yes” right away, some will respond “yes” after considerable discussion and sometimes you wear hear “no”.  And even worse than a “no” is a no response.

I have had to learn over the course of my career, to take the emotion out of the “no” and realize it's just business.  It’s simple math. To get to those “YES"s you have to hear the “NO”s, and lots of them.  Lucky for me, I am learning to pick up after hearing a “no” and relentlessly going after my “yes”.

Another thing I have learned is that I will never let one “no” stop me. One of my favorite quotes is, “Don’t let today’s disappointments cast a shadow on tomorrow’s dreams.” ~Unknown” I know that all sales people, even outside of PR know what I am talking about. In fact, I am sure the most successful sales people; hear “no” all the time!  Don’t let fear stop you. Once you hear that “no”, reflect on it, learn from it, pick up our chin and keep going. You’ll be glad you did.

If you get a “no” that is particularly hard for you to swallow, consider discussing it with a mentor. I myself am human, and I am not immune to having emotions when I hear no. My best remedy I experienced recently when I had a “no” that was difficult for me to process, was confiding in a friend. She reminded me that sometimes things are not meant to be and when one door closes, you‘ve created the space for another to open.  I have to believe that this in particular no happened for a reason, and that I am better off for it.  I decided to reflect on this experience and here is what I came up with as my best tips for dealing with disappointment:

TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE PLEASE VISIT POSHY MAG.

No comments:

Post a Comment