Fashion, Beauty, Celebrities, Events + Things We Love




Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fashion Blogger Spotlight: Kier Mellour of Fashion Addict L.A.


During my meeting blitz week in L.A. I met with this fabulous blogger, Kier Mellour of Fashion Addict LA.  I loved her outfit {of course she’s a fashion blogger!} but even more I loved her energy and positive spirit. Her blog is mainly about personal style but also has a strong nightlife section. Kier says, “I know girls my age like to go out, but there's nowhere to really go for club outfit inspiration.  So I knew I had to combine both topics on my blog!” The blog is fairly new having launched in May of 2012, but I can already tell, it’s a huge success.

After my first meeting with Kier, I knew she’d be perfect for CEM’s very first BLOGGER SPOTLIGHT.   We wanted to know her favorite way to partner with brands, what gets her excited and what will make her tell a brand “Thanks but no thanks!”

I’ll cut to the chase and get down to my interview with Kier.

Maile: What inspires you to blog?

Kier: “I read a lot of fashion magazines and I go out a lot, I love to see what other people are wearing and adapt it to my style. I'm so lucky to live somewhere that people dress up to go out, although I still feel slightly formal most times, LA is a very casual city compared to cities on the east coast."

Kier Mellour: Fashion Addict LA


Maile: What post in particular have you written that got the most hits? Why do you think it was so popular?

Kier: “I got a lot of attention for my post What to wear to a black tie wedding: http://www.fashionaddict.la/backless-gowns/ I think people crave glamour and an escape from their day to day and something about that dress was thrilling, whimsical and glamorous."


Maile: As a publicist I am always curious to hear how bloggers get connected with brands. How do you prefer to receive pitches from us?

Kier: “I like to get emails, it gives me time to look over everything and approach the client with all the info and a clear idea of how I want to move forward.”


Maile: What makes a great pitch and inspires you to write a or cover the topics presented?

Kier: “Honestly, it all comes down to quality of the product. If the product or event impresses me I'll want to talk about it, I always try to be honest with my readers, so if I don't feel something is up to par, I have to decline. “


Maile: As a blogger, what’s in it for you?

Kier: “If I'm asked to review a product I prefer to receive it so that I can make an honest review, And of course I like to be paid, but I can't just accept sponsored posts if I'm not excited about the product or service, like I said before, I can't just lie to my readers for money, they can tell, and I don't want that reputation.”


Maile: What’s the best way to build a relationship with you?

Kier: “I think consistency, I like to stay in touch with people I've worked with and email/tweet/Instagram them if I'm wearing the item they mailed me. I like to show that they're getting a good value by working with me. I also really appreciate a simple Thank you, it goes a long way- I've worked with brands that I've emailed letting them know my post is up, and heard nothing in return, did they hate it, did they even see it? I think always replying to emails is important.”


Maile: What is a guarantee that a company  will never hear back from you again?

Kier: “I have no idea! Thankfully I've never had that bad of an experience, but even if the company who never responded reached out to me now, out of the blue, I'd consider it, and at  the very least, respond to their email." 


Maile: Do you ever write blogs from press releases you have received?

Koier: “I have used the info from press releases, yes. I think it's a good idea for events to mail out press releases so that people/bloggers covering the event have all the pertinent info."


Maile: What do you wish more marketing companies  and publicists understood better about bloggers?

Kier: “Sometimes I think they don't really understand our value. *31% of consumers say that bloggers have influenced a purchase of theirs, and yet we only receive a small portion (usually between 6-10%) of most brands marketing budgets.  As a blogger we are the Photographer, stylist, model, writer, publisher, and social media/PR manager, plus we have our own following. Even if they paid us half of what they'd normally pay all those different rolls they'd still save a huge amount of money and we as bloggers would be appropriately compensated, so many brands think they're doing you a favor by sending you something free, but to give a post 100%, we work very hard and I just wish our worth was recognized a bit more.”



Follow Kier on Facebook  and tweet with her at @kiermellour. Use Hashtag #CEMBloggerSpotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment